25 Aug

sports bra problem-solution (big bust edition)

1 The Standout by Victoria’s Secret / 2 Enell High Impact Sports Bra

something I’ve “struggled” with my whole life is having a big bust. I know, I knowww – “ali, that’s not a problem – that’s a blessing!”

well, if you’re a gal like me who had DD & beyond bust size since the 8th grade, you know that it’s more of a hassle than anything – and that’s a whole separate rant and post for another day. today, I address just one of the many hassles: sports bras.

these days, I find that athletic wear companies are designing cooler, more fashion-forward workout gear – which is awesome! I don’t think I actually own a simple pair of black yoga pants anymore – everything has a pattern, a funky design or a splash of neon color.

unfortunately, this trend hasn’t hit the DD+ sports bra department. if you want your most precious ladies staying securely in place and supported, you’re going to have to accept that, essentially, you’ll be wearing a harness around your rib cage that not only slightly suffocates you, but also makes it impossible to wear any remotely cute tops.

come to think of it, they should make a “granny panties” equivalent for sports bras. no disrespect to grannies, I LOVE my grammy!

now, if you’re not doing any bouncy workouts (ie interval sprints, running or jump roping), I do have great news – there’s a sports bra that comes in pretty colors (yay!) thats also supportive for moderately high exercising (think: spinning and HIIT.)

that’s the Victoria’s Secret “The Standout“. I own it in every single color. it’s supportive enough where I can wear it during spinning and comfortable enough where I can wear it while I’m running errands (not literally running, of course.) you can proudly brave the shirtless workout look without feeling embarrassed, wearing what seems like a torture device.

now, if you are doing those bouncy workouts and don’t want your melons flopping all over the place, I love the Enell High Impact Sports Bra. yes, it may take you 34 minutes to tuck those bad boys in and release them (there are literally 10 clasps to suck you in), but ladies – it’s totally worth it, those puppies aren’t moving a quarter of an inch while you run.

for those of you who are big chested, what are your favorite high, medium and low impact sports bras?

• M

Loved the article… Anyone have recommendations for ultra supportive underwire sports bras — with cup sizes above DD?

Sat September 12 at 12:18 pm Reply
  • Karen

Iove my Enell sports bras!! Worth the price! I’m a DDD and it holds the girls and supports my back.

Sat September 12 at 4:10 pm Reply
  • Anna

I know summer is coming to an end, but could you do a similar post regarding flattering, coverage, supportive, sexy swimsuits? Any good suggestions?

Sat September 12 at 6:24 pm Reply

Yes, coming up soon!

Mon September 14 at 8:31 pm Reply
  • Katie

I like the Moving Comfort Maya so much that after discovering it while training for a half marathon, I just started wearing it all the time. But it’s cut a little too high for some shirts.

Sat September 12 at 8:23 pm Reply
  • Lisa

I like the LuLu Lemon tata tamer bra – comes in fun colours too.

Sun September 13 at 4:50 am Reply
  • Karina

I wear a 34Dand the Tatatamer is my absolute favorite!!!!

Mon September 14 at 2:08 am Reply
  • UP87

Hi Ali! You’re such an inspiraton! Just downloaded your cookbook and ordered a spiralizer. I am also big busted (and yes it’s a pain..) how do you find swimsuits that cover your boobs but aren’t too big around your waist/rib cage? All my one pieces bag around my waist and the cups on bikinis cover about 40 percent of boobs…. When the cups get bigger they are too large for my ribs!

Mon September 14 at 2:53 pm Reply
  • KarenA

Hi Ali – thanks for all that you have created! I have been following you for about a year now and am so impressed and inspired by you. And – now you’ve even tackled another of my "big" problems – bras for my D girls. The ones I like best are moving comfort and champion. I exercise at Orange Theory Fitness 4-6 days a week and I like the girls tied down tight (there is nothing more unsightly than a middle aged woman jumping with boobs flying!).
    @UP87 and @Anna – have you tried Athleta swimsuits? I find them to fit beautifully – if you order the tops with D/DD sizing. Give them a try .

Thanks again Ali – keep the great stuff coming!

Mon September 14 at 5:01 pm Reply

I have never tried Athleta for bathing suits, but now I will! Thanks for the kind words.

Mon September 14 at 8:23 pm Reply
  • Jen

Panache’s underwire sports bra is where it’s at! I wear an F cup…and I’m a runner. Not the cheapest bra, but this thing is stylish, comfortable and seriously holds "the girls" in place.

Thu December 31 at 3:14 pm Reply
  • Nadia Luna

The first step is getting properly fitted. And I don’t mean at VS! Somewhere with a large range of sizes past DD and smaller than a 34. Just by looking at you, I estimate something more like a 30G/H.

Brands like Panache, Cleo, and Freya are my favorite. And hello bikini tops fitting properly!! No spillage when you have the right sized cups.

Sun January 10 at 5:27 pm Reply
  • Linda

I like Title Nine a company by women for women.

Sat May 14 at 3:43 pm Reply
  • Lizz

Have you tried the SheFit? I just ordered one, it was recommended to me from a fellow busty lady friend. If it doesn’t work out, I will try one of these!

Fri June 10 at 5:00 pm Reply