13 Apr

packing for the exumas, bahamas

1. GoPro hero4 / 2. Bikini Top / 3. Brazilian Bikini Bottoms / 4. Light Sweater / 5. Strappy sandals / 6. Airplane Snacks / 7. Moisturizer / 8. Airplane headphones / 9. Book / 10. Sunglasses / 11. Flip Flops

right after Lu and I got married, every time we saw a married couple, the conversation went like this:

person: congrats!
us: thanks, we’re so happy!
person: *mood changes* whatever you do, make sure you travel a LOT beacuse once you have kids, it stops.

literally, every single married person/couple told us that! now, I don’t think that once you have children you become a hermit and don’t travel. my parents took me to the Caribbean before I even turned one!

I know I don’t have kids yet, but I don’t think that kids end that stage of traveling in your life. my mom told me that her best trips have been with us (her children.) I like to think that I’ll adopt my mother’s style.

now, I know traveling will be different when you have children, so we are taking this advice and traveling as much as we can this year (alone)!

next up: the exumas, bahamas! we leave early tomorrow morning and we return late on Sunday night. I know what you’re thinking: “what?! the bahamas in 3 days?” I love quick trips! they’re just the amount of time you need to relax, refresh, and absorb some Vitamin D!

when we get back, I’m going to do a full blog post and my very first VLOG here, in case some of you are interested in traveling there! I’ve been to the Bahamas a lot, but I’ve never been to the Exumas, so I am SO excited – and Lu has never been to the Bahamas and I love traveling with him, of course. I’ve heard nothing but amazing things.

I figured I’d do a little “what I pack” post with some of my must-haves. excuse me if they’re very “basic,” but I wanted to stay genuine! these are really the things I bring with me when I travel to beach vacas! obviously I pack other things (including sunscreen and coverups), but these are some of my favs, which include a light sweater that I’m obsessed with. I ALWAYS forget a sweater when I travel to the beach and then I kick myself because I don’t have anything for chilly nights or inside lounging!

have you been to the exumas?!

• Allison C.

Exumas is on my list. I want to swim with those pigs. Ha! Very cute bathing suit top; glad to see it’s available in sizes for someone bustier, like myself. 😉 ASOS is the best!

Wed April 13 at 7:45 pm Reply

ASOS really is! I just love that they offer such quick shipping and free returns (huge!) I wore this top in this Instagram picture, for your reference (it’s supportive and cute – but leaves terrible tan lines if you’re not careful with plenty of sunscreen!!) https://www.instagram.com/p/BC0l1BDEJZe/?taken-by=inspiralized

Wed April 13 at 7:48 pm Reply
  • Lauren

Regarding traveling and kids. Here’s my take. Traveling with kids under 4 or 5 is a challenge and sometimes exhausting. You’re schedule revolves around their needs and naptime. Young children don’t like change in routine and can become restless, whining and crying. We used to go to fancy resorts or cruises that offered child care and/or day camps. It is very expensive, though. And unless you have a babysitter of some sort, you’re day ends at 8-9 pm because that is their bedtime. As the kids get older, it is more fun. However, then most trips have to revolve around winter and spring break because you really don’t want to take them out of school. Traveling during these times is the most expensive, most crowded and harder to find availability unless you schedule way in advance. Also, if your child is involved in sports, it is all consuming; games on the weekends, practice during the weekday, plus you have to volunteer for the team. Most will not accept money in place for volunteering because they also need human bodies to help with everything. I remember in the summer we couldn’t travel till August because my son was in baseball and they frowned upon them missing any time during the season. Hockey was during the winter. if you have two kids, you are juggling two sports team (or whatever else they are involved with), volunteering for both and if you still want or need to work, that too. Never mind any time left over for your husband! Definitely need good time management skills! If you have more than one child, spacing between them is important too. You can have a 8 year old and 2 year old and it is hard to meet both their needs on vacation. Mine are 6 years apart. My son is going to college this September and I will soon be an empty nester. Raising children is fun and very fulfilling but I am looking forward to now being able to travel when I want and not having to revolve my schedule around the kids and for once do exactly what I want to do. I had my first child at 32 and my second at 38 years old, so I traveled a lot before then. Having kids later in life has its advantages and disadvantages. A lot to think about for sure.

Wed April 13 at 8:17 pm Reply

Thanks for the perspective, Lauren!!

Thu April 14 at 1:01 am Reply
  • Molly

Would love to know more about what you eat when you’re on the go and can’t spiralize! Tips and tricks to stay healthy on the move. Also how to eat well in an airport!

Thu April 14 at 12:45 am Reply

Thanks for the feedback! That’s definitely for an upcoming post 🙂

Thu April 14 at 1:01 am Reply
  • Allison

Love that bikini! I have a bigger bust too and asos is my go-to. Although I never know what size to buy and wind up having to make exchanges which is a bit of a pain. Would you say that bikini top runs true to size??

Sat April 16 at 10:30 pm Reply
  • PAULINE M

That place looks so beautiful…had that on my wish list of places to visit, but now with that Zika Virus I’m a little leary about traveling to the Caribbean. I will be looking forward to your post of what you did, places you went & things you ate.

Tue April 19 at 7:39 pm Reply
  • Ellen Tracy

I would love to know the brands of your bathing suits (one piece also). I have a similar body type.

Tue April 19 at 8:18 pm Reply