22 Apr

a bit about my style journey

that’s me and my mom! isn’t she the cutest with her Inspiralized tote bag?

lately, I’ve been making a real effort to find my style. it’s been quite a journey. I think all personal styles are dictated by our current body size and with that, our levels of body confidence. if you look in my closet, you’ll see all ranges of sizes and they weren’t all for varying weights. they were for varying stages of body confidence.

for example, chunky sweaters rarely look good on me. it has taken me 29 years to realize that having a big chest seriously limits you in terms of trends. it took me 29 years to realize, “hey, ali, just because a 6’2″ 110 pound model with no chest looks great in a flowy tunic, doesn’t mean it’s going to look good on you!”ย

now, I’m finally starting to find a maintainable style that feels very, well, ALI! but that wouldn’t have been possible if it wasn’t for the past year and a half “fit journey” that I’ve been on that has truly resulted in some positive body imagery and a happy, healthy weight that I want to dress well, because I’m proud of my body.

I’ve never been a tight-fitting clothing type of gal, and I realized why: I had very little body confidence. even at my lowest weight my senior year in college (I’m 5’7.5″ and I weighed 128 pounds – eek!), I wore flowy tops. every little dimple or bump would make me wildly insecure, so I’d always buy the wrong styles for my body.

unfortunately, that’s the WORST thing for me. flowy = no bueno.

long story short, you may see a lot more outfit and style posts on this newly created blog of mine. let’s start off with a few of my recent purchases that I’m loving and reflect my style:

what has your style journey been like?

• Kate

Hey Ali! This is a great post! I am tall at 5’9 and feel as though my body confidence has grown as I’ve gotten older, learning to be more comfortable in my skin after all it’s the only one I’ve got! One thing about my "style" ive been try to work towards creating a woredrobe that I can mix and match, more versital piece rather than just buying something because it’s on sale! I’ve been trying to be better but it’s a journey of learning about quality over quantity : )

Happy Friday!

Fri April 22 at 3:43 pm Reply

I totally agree – that’s such a better tactic! Thanks for the note.

Fri April 22 at 6:36 pm Reply
  • Brenna Kelly

Hi Ali, I love following you on ALL your platforms! You are very inspiring because you make everything seem attainable and you are a real person! And I can completely relate to your style journey! I am only 5’5 and I have a very large chest. (38DD). I have had to learn how to wear stuff that doesn’t magnify my chest area and I always wear a stomach/chest sucking undershirt under almost everything (except when summer rolls around). I am not participating in the off the shoulder top trend AT ALL because I can’t simply find a strapless bra that will keep everything together. I am curious. have you ever considered a breast reduction? And did you find that when you lost weight did your chest size shrunk somewhat?

Fri April 22 at 4:18 pm Reply

Thank you so much for the kind words! No, I have never considered a breast reduction, but that’s because I don’t have any health issues (like back pain, etc.) I’m tall enough so my body can handle it. And yes, my chest size shrunk A LOT. Can you see my before and after difference here: I went from a 34DDD/F to a 34DD: https://www.instagram.com/p/BDlnbl3kJal/?taken-by=inspiralized

Fri April 22 at 6:36 pm Reply
  • Allison C.

My style journey changes and changes; I used to wear more form-fitting tops when my large chest was at its smallest in my early 20s (36D), then I was on medications that made me gain weight and pushed my chest up to a 34F. Though I’m off those meds and have shed some of that weight elsewhere, my chest remains the same size. I started wearing drapier tops with skinny pants, but some drapy tops work while others don’t. There is a fine line to find one that’s a bit billowy yet structured. sigh Haha! The battle continues. ๐Ÿ˜‰ But, as long as I’m feeling happy in my tops that look good, it’s allll good! ๐Ÿ™‚

Fri April 22 at 7:47 pm Reply
  • Kerry

You have great style! After having two babies I feel like I need a style makeover. I am definitely a work in progress. ????

Fri April 22 at 8:37 pm Reply

Me too! That’s half the fun!

Fri April 22 at 8:39 pm Reply
  • carol

Large busted?? Try the Natori Element’ Full Fit Contour Underwire Bra (available at Nordstoms) It’s strapless, fits like a dream… you’ll forget you have it on.
    (let me know how you like it…………………………..personally I’d go for a personal fitting)

Fri April 22 at 9:44 pm Reply
  • Shelley S.

Hi Ali! Such a great post. I love how honest and real you are. So relatable and an amazing role model. I had a question about the black J.Crew mules. Are they comfortable? What will you be wearing them with? I’m considering ordering them and am looking for your feedback!

Sat April 23 at 1:15 am Reply
  • Shelby Dwyer

Great post! I’ve recently been feeling way more confident about my body, and I credit it to working out consistently, doing more yoga (on the mat and in my life), and making smarter food choices (your Inspiralizer changes lives, girl!!). I’ve also shifted my view of purchasing clothing into one that is better for my wallet long-term and better for the world, so trying to avoid fast fashion and trying to buy more quality, basic/classic pieces that will last longer. I am obsessed with Everlane right now! And I hear you, every now and again I make the mistake of buying something that that is totally wrong for my body (Alo Yoga Goddess leggings…I’m 5’4…so not happening); thank goodness for return policies! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mon April 25 at 6:28 pm Reply
  • KAthleen

Hi Ali,

I relate. And, I have to say, your mom is gorgeous AND stylish!

I’ve shrunk as I’ve aged. No kidding! Used to be 5’5;" now, maybe 5’3". So style issues continue to evolve. Since I sport a D-cup, I found as you did that chunky sweaters don’t work. Fisherman styles (that I love) and anything ribbed just adds bulk to my upper body.

Two other trends that don’t work on me: (1) capris or any pant that’s cropped mid-shin. I am too short and it just breaks the line. Cropped pants, just above the ankle, look fine. And (2) "flares" and other wide-legged pants. Since I am "chesty" AND short, they just make me look ill-proportioned and clownish.

What I really don’t "get" are the jeans that slightly flare and then are cropped mid-shin. Huh? I don’t see how they flatter most women. (But maybe my eye has just not gotten used to the look.)

I read a book on French style many years ago and it talked about how French women ignore the trends and find the styles that work best on their body. This makes sense to me.

Love your recent purchases! Some great classics! (And I bought that J. Crew popover top, too, only in navy.)

Sun May 22 at 8:28 pm Reply

I love the advice from French women!! Explains why they always look perfectly and effortlessly chic!

Mon May 23 at 12:56 pm Reply