20 Apr

my biggest insecurity & how pregnancy is going to help me overcome it

I’m imagining the eye rolls as I type this sentence, but I’m saying it anyway: I’m not an insecure person.

I am many things, but I’m not insecure. I give all the credit to my mother, she’s always made me feel like I could do anything and that I was perfect the way I was. these days, she even calls me “the Amazing Ali.” she’s the sweetest and I’ve always felt loved, nurtured, supported, and I always knew she was proud of me. or rather, I lived my life to make her (and thus, myself) proud. her expectations weren’t crazy high (mine were higher!) and she always told me she was proud of me.

in terms of body image, even when I was in my early to mid 20s and I looked at the “skinny girls” in magazines, I didn’t want to BE them, I just wanted to be ME, just a better version. I never wanted their exact bodies, because I was taught to love my body, appreciate my curves, and my mother also taught me NEVER to compare myself to others. even with the smallest of things, “oh, Sarah gets to stay up until 9pm!” she would say, “well, you’re not Sarah, are you?”

SO. long story short, I’ve always been pretty secure.Β except for ONE major insecurity.

STRETCH MARKS.

I have them. 80% of people on the planet have stretch marks (that’s a fact – Google it!). yet, they still make me feel crazy insecure.

I’m just about 5’8″ and have been this height since I was in high school. in middle school, I went through a major growth spurt when I was in middle school. I grew so quickly, I got stretch marks on my inner thighs and a few around my hips. but those aren’t what make me feel most insecure, since they’re barely noticeable except to me – they’re on the insides of my thighs, so they’re hard to see most of the time, unless I’m sitting cross-legged in shorts. and who cares? people like Chrissy Teigen have made them feel much more ‘normal’!

what I’m MOST insecure about are the ones on my boobs. and I’ve never actually talked about them until now, because I feel so embarrassed by them. they make me feel like that part of my body is ugly.

the summer between 6th grade and 7th grade, I went from no boobs to a C cup. from 7th grade to 8th grade, I was wearing a DD. I remember how devastating it was to look at those purple marks on my boobs. while boys gave me attention and girls always said, “you’re so lucky!” I felt the exact opposite: cursed.

my entire life, they’ve always been what have made me feel less pretty. I’m constantly tugging on shirts to make sure my cleavage is covered. I won’t buy certain shirts if cleavage shows, because it’s too embarrassing. everything has always been crew neck, high-neck, boat neck, etc.

when I was wedding dress shopping, I wouldn’t try on any dresses that showed any sign of my stretch marks.

even when I’m at the OB-GYN and the doctor does a breast exam, I cringe and I’m so uncomfortable, I almost feel anxious, because I’m just so embarrassed by my body.

now, when I’m in a bathing suit, there’s nothing I can really do (unless it’s a high-neck one piece), so I’ve kinda just had to deal with it. and luckily, at my age of 30, they’re getting fainter and fainter with each year, so they’re less noticeable than they were in my teens and early 20s.

the fading stretch marks definitely have helped with my insecurity, but it’s still there. everyday.

also, let me note that Lu has also helped me with that insecurity. when I’m with him physically (you know, HAVING THE SEX) or getting dressed, I don’t give AF. in the beginning, I would dim or turn the lights off, because I was so ashamed. about 2 years into our relationship, I just stopped caring, because he made me so comfortable and well, let’s be honest: guys are guys. (most) guys LOVE boobs, so. I have pretty big boobs, and since my boobs are Lu’s favorite physical part of me (TMI?!), it’s helped me big time with getting over my personal insecurity.

if Lu loves my boobs, why shouldn’t I? his opinion should be the only one I care about, anyway!

but yea, that’s my biggest insecurity. my only insecurity, really. while it was crippling in my teens, I’ve slowly gotten over it as I get older and realize that my body isn’t defined by a few white marks on my boobs. and caring that much about my physical appearance is a bit petty anyway. I’m not defined by my body, I’m defined by my actions and my mind. and I think those two are pretty solid!

so how is pregnancy helping me overcome this insecurity?

when I first found out I was pregnant, the first thing I literally did was buy belly bump stretch mark cream on Amazon. literally. then, a prenatal vitamin. but the stretch mark cream was #1!

the initial excitement immediately wore off, because I started thinking about stretch marks. I was so worried that I was going to get stretch marks on my tummy, that I actually felt a little sad.

think about that for a second.

I just found out I was going to have a baby with the love of my life and I was sad. because of the possibility of getting stretch marks. LOCO.

as my belly expands slowly, I’ve started to feel less and less stressed and worried about stretch marks. what I’ve realized is that what’s happening to my body is far more important than something on the surface (literally.) I’m going to bring a baby into the world!

even if I do get terrible stretch marks on my tummy, I wouldn’t change a thing, because a baby is more important than my physical appearance. this revelation has made me realize just how petty it is that I still care (at 30!) about stretch marks.

I still feel like they’re unsightly, but I don’t think they make me any less beautiful of a person. and I love the way I look naked, isn’t that the most important part? I’m in great shape, I’m happy, fulfilled, and confident with the person I’ve become.

NOW. will I still cover them up in shirts? yes. BUT, will I be embarrassed by them? no. will I worry about people seeing them when I’m in the hospital during labor, delivery & after? HECK NO. will I care about people seeing them while breastfeeding? definitely not.

SO, it’s time to finally get over it!

and besides, as my mom always said, “beauty fades, but your mind lasts longer.” so, I think we could all practice a little less harshness on ourselves and focus on what’s important: being a kind, good person.

can anyone relate? the more we talk about these insecurities, the less insecure they’ll make us feel!

• Maria

I totally went through a growth spurt in middle school and am now 5’11 and was SO worried about the stretch marks on my inner thighs. I always wanted them to go away and then one day I just stopped caring!

Thu April 20 at 1:25 pm Reply
  • Chelsea

I went though the same growth spurt in middle school, and mine got HUGE (I’m in a DD as well) and people always say how lucky I am, and I’ve never felt lucky. I’m so prone to cover up all my stretch marks (thighs, boobs, and tummy) but this post lets me know I’m not alone and need to embrace it!

Thu April 20 at 1:32 pm Reply
  • Katelyn

Wow, what a great post Ali! Thank you for being so open and honest. I am tall for a woman, 5’10, and I’ve always been so insecure about my height – as I’ve gotten older I’ve come to realize worrying about insecurities (especially things you can’t change) are such a waste of time and energy you’ll never get back. Life is too short!!!

Katelyn

Thu April 20 at 1:42 pm Reply
  • Sabrina

Stretch marks are so hard and I have felt the same shame around mine growing up. I had twins and my stomach is covered in them but they fade and now I look at them as my tiger stripes I earned by bringing two beautiful people into the world!

Thu April 20 at 1:50 pm Reply
  • Lori Burns

I think that your post hits the mark for a lot of people men and women. I also had stretch marks early in my teens and unfortunately for me I got even more being pregnant and more after gaining weight after having kids. I since have lost 55 lbs and need to get some more off but I have learned to appreciate what they symbolized and I am also lucky because I have a husband who loves me at whatever size and with whatever marks i have. My kids used to say they were the road maps for them to be born. Thanks for sharing

Thu April 20 at 1:56 pm Reply
  • Krysten @freshfitkitchen

Did you write this for me ? I think you did . We are the same size up top lady and I relate ! I have hated my boobs my entire life and other than being scared to death of surgery or getting a botched job I have wanted them reduced for years . The stretch marks, the fact that no body seems to make an appropriate swim suit for them (any suggestions there?) and the constant staring . They literally have ruled my life sometimes . You are right though. With age comes maturity and with a loving supportive husband you almost start to love yourself a little more . You realize while they may bother you, someone else thinks it’s super beautiful and that you are probably too too hard yourself. Best of luck with the baby and thank u for sharing this. <3

Thu April 20 at 2:10 pm Reply
  • Mari

Smaller chested girls have stretch marks on their boobs too! I’m 5"4 and a 34B/C. They’ve been there throughout most of my 20s along with stretch marks on my hips. It’s all a part of life. I’m sure my body will change a lot more throughout the years. I figure if that if its the worst thing that can happen to me, then i’ll take it!

Thu April 20 at 2:40 pm Reply
  • Laura

Yaaaaasss! Love this post so much. I have a few stretch marks too and I remember the pit of despair I threw myself into when I first saw them. Now I don’t give them the time of day. Our bodies change shape, stretch, and grow throughout life. Stretch marks are totally normal!

Bonus points for you mentioning Chrissy Teigen’s IDGAF attitude. Love her.

Thu April 20 at 3:26 pm Reply
  • Katie

Thank you SO much for being raw, honest & staying true to yourself. These are qualities that all bloggers should have, but many lack. Thanks for being REAL. πŸ™‚

Thu April 20 at 3:38 pm Reply
  • Stephanie

I had a baby in December and I went through the whole pregnancy without stretch marks. I thought I was blessed…. when I got home from the hospital and finally looked in the mirror my lower stomach was covered! I was mortified. They’ve already started fading but like you said about Lu, my husband thinks they’re a testament to how strong I was delivering our son.

I loved your post and while I know your point was not comparing yourself to others, I strive to have your confidence about myself!

Thu April 20 at 3:48 pm Reply
  • Susie

I have the same stretch marks on my thighs from my middle school growth spurt. My long legs only lasted until high school when I grew into them, but the stretch marks stuck around. I am now 2 weeks post partum and I surprisingly didn’t end up with any stretch marks on my midsection. There is a lot going on other than stretch marks (yikes!), but I was somehow able to avoid them (at least for now!). I used the kardashian approved cream (lol) and your average cocoa butter often but not religiously, but I honestly think it is just pure luck of the draw. Thought I’d share to give you some hope that the stretch marks are not inevitable!

Thu April 20 at 3:49 pm Reply
  • Brittany Eaton

I had a baby in October and when I look in the mirror and see the stretch marks on my stomach I get a little self conscious until I look at my daughter and understand why they are there. Having a beautiful, healthy baby is so much more important than having a stretch mark free abdomen. Also, you won’t get self conscious in the hospital. Everyone sees a lot more than just stretch marks or your boobs and after a while you just don’t give a F anymore. Enjoy your pregnancy, it’s a beautiful thing and such a great time in your life!

Thu April 20 at 3:51 pm Reply
  • Andrea

What a great post. I have stretch marks from when I had my son almost two years ago and I have learned to love them.

The cool thing is that your boobs will take on a whole new meaning once you are breastfeeding πŸ™‚ I ALWAYS hated my boobs (barely a B cup) and wished they were bigger. Now that they’ve been nursing a baby for almost two years, they are one of my favorite parts of my body. I never knew how important they would be!

It is awesome to see you go through the pregnancy journey. I’ve learned so much about myself and my body since having my son and I am so happy that you are able to share what you’re learning as well! Thabk you!!

Thu April 20 at 4:14 pm Reply
  • Patty D

Wow. I have a one year old and I was/am insecure about my breasts also. I have stretchmarks and they are saggy too. Double whammy. :/ But breastfeeding my babe has helped me so much. I’ve come to appreciate them as they are because they have nourished my baby! Pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding is the most amazing journey I have ever taken. I love it.

Thu April 20 at 5:23 pm Reply
  • Susie

Based on your commitment to health and fitness, I feel certain you will be so proud of what your body accomplished in your pregnancy that if you do get any stretch marks you will not be bothered by them. I think you will then dive into new motherhood with even more passion than you have for your work and then some, again, any stretch marks will not be important to you. Best of luck! You’ll be amazing!

Thu April 20 at 5:31 pm Reply
  • Sandra Centofante

Stretch marks happen. I have them too from middle school and HATE them!!! The same like you I purchased creams and oils and would lather myself up religiously until my doc told me creams do help but stretch marks happen from the inside and it’s meant to happen it will. I got three small stretch marks two weeks before I gave birth. They looked bigger when my belly was bigger. At the beginning I remember I was bummed out but now that my babe is 8 months old those stretch marks are small and to be honest it looks like a tiny clawed at me. I look at them not in hatred but in admiration of a time when my body was able to carry life and give me the beautiful boy I have now. It’s the most beautiful momento.

Thu April 20 at 5:43 pm Reply
  • Katelyn

Girrrl, I can relate. I have hypertrophic scars because my skin is prone to that (resulting in keloids). I’d rather have stretch marks (and I do) but my point is that I get it. I understand! There are certain things that we feel weird and insecure about but we only get one body!!!

Thu April 20 at 5:45 pm Reply
  • Sarah

I never had stretch marks. I was always super petite. And then I had three kids and now I’m 35 and my metabolism slowed waaaay down. I have stretch marks all over my stomach and boobs. And have a mom pooch in the front of my stomach- -and it’s never going away, no matter how many sit ups I do– but I have 3 beautiful healthy kids that I breastfed for 15 months each. So when they ask me what the marks on my tummy are- I proudly tell them that I was once too small to contain all the love growing inside me and my body had to grow to make room. Xo best wishes

Thu April 20 at 5:55 pm Reply
  • Shelby

Love this – so appreciate your candidness, girl!! You’re beautiful and as always such an inspiration. <3

With love,

Another girl with stretch marks

Thu April 20 at 6:11 pm Reply
  • Cathy

We all have our insecurities – post away! You’re correct – a baby is more important than your stretch marks. Who we are on the inside is so much more important than what we look like outside. I’ve never been pregnant but I have stretch marks on the outsides of my thighs since I was 10, due to "growth spurts" I guess. Meanwhile I’ve never been over 5’3 3/4" and I’m now 5’1 3/4" because I shrunk!! However, I do have 2 lines of blue veins from shoulder to shoulder right across my collar bone –my whole life! Did I ever care? Nope. I can only see them when I look in a mirror LOL – let everyone else look at them. Those veins are a part of me and will always show in tank tops, scoop neck shirts and bathing suits – whatever!

Thu April 20 at 6:41 pm Reply
  • Hillary Gras

Ali thank you so much for just taking candidly about this. We all have insecurities. Glad to hear that Lu has helped with that and you’re feeling so empowered in this pregnancy!!! This post is one of the reasons you stand out as a blogger and businesswoman. You’re open and candid, just one of the girls. Thank you so much.

Thu April 20 at 6:54 pm Reply

Thank you, Hillary! That means a lot – and always great to hear from you – here or @inspiralized! πŸ™‚

Thu April 20 at 7:00 pm Reply
  • Lauren

I’ve never felt the pull to comment on a blog post–ever! But yours resonated with me deeply. I have the deep/noticeable/purple stretch marks you describe, but on my inner thighs and they’ve been my biggest insecurity as long as I’ve had them–no matter how much I exercise or am complimented on my body, or how "secure" I am otherwise, they’re always in the back of my mind. I completely feel you on the shame (which you then feel bad for FEELING ashamed because #bodypositivity) when you’re in a situation where someone will see them, or when you’re wearing clothes that reveal them, etc. And it IS crazy, since the majority of women do have stretch marks, but then your thought process is "mine are worse," or "mine are more noticeable," or whatever. Do I have a point? Apparently not! But reading this made me feel understood and I’m proud of you, person I have never met, for recognizing the important things in life and living fully with your normal, beautiful blemishes. I hope to catch up to your confidence soon.

Thu April 20 at 7:02 pm Reply
  • Vitina

This is actually the best damn thing I’ve read all day. ???? I wish more people, particularly us women, were more secure about themselves. We are all made beautifully.

Thu April 20 at 7:24 pm Reply
  • Megan

Being pregnant with my son has been one of the most special joys of my life. I gained almost 50# with him (he was big and my belly was huge!). While my belly was expanding, I got these small, bright red stretch marks just above my hips. While pre-pregnant me would’ve hated those things, I loved them (and still do love them even as they’ve faded considerably). They’re a reminder of the joy I experienced growing this magnificent little human. Our perspectives change in ways we would’ve never imagined as we become mothers. It’s an incredible experience.

Thu April 20 at 7:28 pm Reply
  • Christine

I’m about as tall as you and same story- grew fast and I have stretch marks in my legs and breasts. I figured I would get them when I was pregnant too, but I’m 35 weeks pregnant with twins and not a stretch mark in sight! (Which I find super surprising!) Maybe you won’t get them! But, if you do you totally have the right mindset! It’s about the baby now! ????

Thu April 20 at 7:31 pm Reply
  • Michelle

I didn’t have a particular view on stretch marks when I got pregnant but I still used a cream and band to protect my skin and give my bump more support. It’s called Secret Saviours and was amazing – I haven’t got one stretch mark and my beautiful girl is four weeks old now.

Thu April 20 at 7:57 pm Reply
  • Linda

Ali, you are a beautiful and smart young woman. I love your transparency as it may help someone else to know they are not alone. I’m so glad your mother instilled confidence in you when you were a child. That is so important, and I’m sure you will be a good mother as well. It takes a lot of courage to bear one’s soul, and I’m so proud you feel you have a group of friends who will not condemn you, but will support you instead. Beauty is skin deep, and you have a beautiful soul and you will always be beautiful to your family and your true friends as well.

Just remember that we all love you here and we thank you for sharing your burdens with us. We love you no matter

Thu April 20 at 9:30 pm Reply
  • Linda Cantwell

Oops, Linda here, I accidentally posted before I finished the sentence. Just remember that we love you no matter if you have stretch marks or not. You are a great inspiration to all of us.

Thu April 20 at 9:35 pm Reply
  • Millie Lampa

Amen girl! I’m 13 weeks and every time I get out of the shower and rub down in lotion and belly butter I think about it. I don’t want to be worried about it and I’m working to get to that point you are at but it’s so hard! Thank you for sharing and being so open! Also I can totally relate to the DD’s and immediately having to buy a new bra when I got pregnant!

Thu April 20 at 10:47 pm Reply
  • T

Perfectly put. I’m 3 days post partum with a sweet baby boy and I feel like I’m reading my own thoughts in this post. Your body will change in the most beautiful way and knowing that the changes are providing a safe growing environment for your baby make it all worth it. Many wishes for a great journey these next few months, I can’t wait to read more ☺️

Thu April 20 at 11:12 pm Reply
  • becky

Way to put it out there girl. I didn’t get belly stretch marks with my first, then I did with my 2nd. They will fade with time I’m sure. I look at them less with embarassment and more amazement. How the hell does a body stretch that much and then return to (somewhat) normalcy?? Crazy!! Also, you mention in the post… "lu’s opinion should be the only one I care about anyway". I’m so glad his acceptance of your body has given you confidence, that’s really the sign of a wonderful partner. BUT! I’d say YOUR opinion is the only one you should care about. It can take a long time, but I hope all of us women who struggle with different parts of our bodies can love and accept ourselves. Keep up the good work lady!

Fri April 21 at 12:11 am Reply
  • Karen

I can relate. My story is much the same as yours. Grew quickly between 12 and 13 and have lots of stretch marks on my boobs. I had two kids and breastfed them both but did not get a single stretch mark anywhere! Don’t worry. You may be like me!!

Fri April 21 at 12:16 am Reply
  • Joanna

I can totally relate. I was a cheerleader in high school with the biggest boobs. When I was 43, I decided to get a reduction. Best thing I EVER did. I can now wear tank tops and don’t feel like every human is staring at my boobs – they actually talk to my face now! Should have done it much earlier in life!

Fri April 21 at 12:16 am Reply
  • Tesa

First, congrats on your pregnancy! You are light years ahead of most with your health conscious lifestyle. Kudos to your mom for telling you how special you are, which I’m sure all of your followers already know. We all have our own insecurities and yours are as valid as any other’s. Stretch marks or no, you are beautiful inside and out! I also wanted to pass on two recommendations to you that I have come across in my quest to be a healthy, informed person (and thanks for the Inspiralizer and blog btw, which has been a big part of my lifestyle change). First, I would like to recommend The Food Babe, who is a natural food warrior and who just had a baby and has documented a lot of her natural pregnancy/baby advice. Also, I just finished watching an incredible documentary series called The Truth About Vaccines. I’m still reeling from all of this information but I’m also determined to tell everyone I know about it. Ty Bollinger, who did a series called The Truth About Cancer, just came out with this and I urge EVERYONE to watch them both. Blessings to you and your family Ali!

Fri April 21 at 12:27 am Reply
  • Ashley

So true! Two things that bother me about me…I have such pointy elbows – the most pointiest elbows I’ve seen. I use to wonder why I couldn’t have nice round ones, instead I ended up with poke your eye out ones! The other, much bigger, is I am the total opposite of you!! Flatter than flat – if that’s even possible. It used to bother me beyond belief and I would never and could never wear what my friends were wearing. I never felt like I fit in and that everyone was always looking at my flat chest figure. It really wasn’t until Kelly Ripa obsessively talked about having a small chest that I finally just said whatever! Granted it still bothers me, especially knowing that it’s all what most guys look for, and as much as I would still like to wear outfits/tops I see I try not to let it bother me all that much.

Fri April 21 at 12:36 am Reply
  • Emily Huval

I had a major growth spurt my senior year of high school. I’m 40 now and still have stretch marks.

I had twins basically (six pound fibroid tumor and 5.5 pound baby). Not one stretch mark on my belly. My sweet OB was amazed. Honestly, I didn’t care. Pregnancy wasn’t easy on this body and I have a vertical incision scar to remove said tumor to prove it.

But, I get the insecurities. Mine is the spider veins on my thighs. Ugh!! So ugly! I can’t wear shorts without them showing.

Fri April 21 at 1:01 am Reply
  • Melanie W

Preach, girl!

Fri April 21 at 4:32 am Reply
  • Stella @ Stellicious Life

Aw Ali I’m so there with you! I also went through a major growth spurt when I was 14 (I’m 178 cm) and got stretchmarks on my thighs and butt. I was so ashamed of the bright red/pink stripes and prayed they would fade. The first realization came during a class trip to the lake when I was 15 and saw that almost every girl in my class had them and I wasn’t alone. Since then they have thankfully faded, but just like you, when I think about being pregnant my first concern and fear are stretchmarks (not even giving birth, that comes second! lol). But I think that once I’ll be there, having a baby growing inside me, welcoming a little human being with my love that stretchmarks won’t be a scary thing anymore as I won’t give much thought about them.

As to big boobs: I can relate to what you went/go through: my sister has very biig boobs (F cups in European size) and she always felt very insecure about them, always tugging up her shirts, buying minimizing bras and she always felt that people were looking at her breasts. She gave birth to an adorable little boy last summer and since then her relation to her breasts has changed: she isn’t ashamed or embarassed anymore, actually she was proud and grateful that she could breastfeed her son for so long and have enough milk for him. Pregnancy must be such a transforming and incredible time, I can’t wait to expreience it, with all the scary and wonderful parts! πŸ™‚

Fri April 21 at 7:32 am Reply
  • Lifenaturalee

My insecurity has always been by belly and my varicose veins/spider veins(on my thighs). I have those since age 12 and I was always a thin person… It’s just genetic! The funny part is that men don’t really care about those things… varicose veins, stretch marks (on my thighs again) a belly with no abs… My hubbie makes me feel always pretty, and honestly, the issue is just in my head. For the longest time I never wore shorts or fitting tops.. I even covered myself with a big tote bag… I know… it’s stupid. We should just be all grateful for what we have, mostly if we have health πŸ™‚ Thank you for this post, you are beautiful no matter what πŸ™‚

Fri April 21 at 10:41 am Reply
  • ReneR

I’ve always been very self conscious about the stretch marks I have from that pubescent growth spurt as well. When I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, I was confident I would get more. However! I got very lucky thanks to my regimen of Shea butter on the belly twice a day, and I didn’t get A SINGLE new stretch mark. I tried other creams and butters, but shea butter was the only thing that felt like it would moisturize, and therefore give the chance for my skin to remain elastic, for more than a few minutes!

Wed May 3 at 2:07 pm Reply
  • Phaedre

Hiya,

I’m in my 31st week of pregnancy, and something I was always glad of is that my stretch marks never truly bothered me (I’ve got them on my boobs and thighs too but there whitish and on the side so barely/not visible in a cleavage). My husband still loves me and my body (because let’s face it, even though we think the partner shouldn’t care (too much) about our bodies we still do care if he/she find us attractive). I only started to use cream because the stretching of my tummy HURT. But I do really relate to your post on the level of being self-contious about your body, and I’m glad you feel the pregnancy helps with it, since it’s for a lot of women something that destroys their body-image, and that’s a bit sad πŸ™ Lots of luck!

Mon May 15 at 9:58 am Reply
  • Liliana Flores

I used dermalmd stretch mark serum for my pregnancy stretch marks and it worked miracles! I loved the texture so much and the fact that it left my skin very smooth and was absorbed quickly. I only did not like the smell which could be better, but I got used to it anyways. My stretch marks did fade after 2 months, and I even forgot to use it some nights. I totally recommend dermalmd!

Tue September 19 at 5:57 pm Reply