Bag by India Hicks
around 35 weeks, my hospital bag was packed. the last remaining item were some scratch mitts for the baby, which I was waiting to arrive in the mail. once they arrived, I zipped the bag up and put it in the corner of the nursery, by the door, ready to be grabbed at a moment’s notice! just like in the movies, right?
what’s in my hospital bag
- Photo ID & Insurance card
- Printed birth plan
- Wireless speaker
- Protein bars & raw nut mix for post-partum recovery, so Lu doesn’t have to leave to grab me something (although NYC has things like Postmates and anything can be delivered!)
- Blanket & pillow – I’ve just heard that hospitals have the most uncomfortable bedding and I have extra blankets and pillows in the nursery, so I’m going to bring one of each.
- Nursing gown & robe – I bought this robe and this nursing gown so I have something nice for the hospital – and post-hospital, of course.
- Newborn scratch mittens – I love these by Goumikids.
- Nursing top & comfy sweatpants – for while I’m at the hospital, if I feel like I need to feel more human, I have a super comfy lounge outfit. This top and these pants.
- Going home outfit – I packed high-waisted maternity leggings, my Boob nursing tank, and a sweater cardigan.
- 2 Nursing bras – I’m loving Bravado Designs, and I am bringing them in two different sizes, in case my milk supply comes in early and my boobs grow another cup size (ugh!)
- Nursing pads
- Diapers – I’d like the nurses to teach me how to change a diaper using the diapers I’ll be using, so I brought a few. I have a few different brands, but am bringing Bamboo Nature.
- iPhone charger with extra long cord – this one, thanks to Julia for the recommendation!
- Dirty laundry ‘bag’ – I had this lying around, so I packed it.
- Frida Mom Washer – I’ve heard that this is much easier to use than the one they give you in the hospital, so it’s packed.
- Personal hand fan – I get super cranky when I’m overheated, so I’m sure I’ll be having Lu use this on me, Cleopatra style.
- Sleep mask
- Grip socks – to walk around during delivery and post-partum.
- Flip flops for the shower
- Swaddle blanket – I know they provide everything, but I’d like to take the baby’s first picture in the hospital in a swaddle of my choice!
- 1 Newborn short sleeve onesie – if it’s a warm September day!
- 1 newborn long-sleeve onesie with footies – in case it’s a freakishly cold September day!
- Baby cap – to cover his head.
And in my toiletries bag/dopp kit, I’m bringing:
- ACURE travel pack – face wash, body moisturizer, shampoo, & conditioner
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Bar of soap
- Belly butter
- Hair ties
- My glasses (fun fact: I have bad vision!)
- Nipple cream
- Contact lenses
- Facial wipes – these ones, for cleaning my face while I’m laying in bed and don’t want to take a shower.
- Q-tips (I can’t live without them!)
- Lip balm
- Hair band to keep the hair out of my face – I love these.
UPDATE: also bringing the following, based on suggestions from all of you (thank you!):
Lu’s hospital bag
Lu wants to pack his hospital bag! He’ll be bringing:
- A sweatshirt
- 2 changes of clothes
- Flip flops for the shower