18 Sep

freezer prep for post-baby meals

I’m not a big freezer meal prep kinda gal. it’s just Lu and I and neither of us travel too much for work, so there’s never a reason to really have an arsenal of freezer meals. I love to cook fresh foods and I hate eating the same thing twice in a week. having said that, there have been a few times I’ve been just too exhausted to cook and I haven’t wanted to order something unhealthy and I’ve found myself thinking, “I wish I had frozen leftovers I could defrost!”

the #1 piece of advice I got from friends was, “prep your freezer!”

although I live in an area that has services that deliver you food (Seamless) and will literally pick up anything anywhere and bring it to you (Postmates), that can lead to spending much more money than necessary AND unhealthy choices. plus, sometimes you just don’t want to wait – you want the food now! that’s where the freezer comes in.

we’re very blessed that we have a grocery store in our actual apartment building, so I’m sure I’ll be sending Lu down there to get last minute groceries, like fresh avocados, fruits, almond milk, and items like that. but for the meals, I want to have a good freezer worth of at least two weeks of meals, for when the sleep deprivation is at its highest!

ALSO, we’re lucky that my mother will be with us for the first couple of weeks, so she’ll be cooking for us, leaving leftovers in the fridge, and helping us stock our freezer a bit more when she leaves. I love her cooking and I’m so happy she’ll be helping us through these beginning weeks. and to those who have asked, we are not having a baby nurse or doula.

freezer prep meals/foods

daily harvest smoothies

smoothies are a great way to sneak in nutrients throughout the day, if I am too busy to eat (I’ve heard that’s a thing!) or want to start the morning off with a bang or have a healthy late-afternoon boost. I’m a huge Daily Harvest fan and drink their smoothies all the time, topped with granola, nut butters, coconut flakes, and chia seeds. what I love about Daily Harvest is that they come pre-portioned out, all you have to do is add a liquid (I use almond milk). I tend to also add things like collagen powder to my smoothies for an extra protein boost.

TIP: use code INSPIRALIZED for 3 free smoothies with your order! order here.

green giant riced cauliflower

I’ve been using Green Giant’s Riced Veggies for a few months now, and they’re HUGE time savers, so I’m looking forward to having them on hand for post-baby. they make a variety of ‘riced veggies’. just defrost and you’re ready to make a healthy, low-carb rice bowl.

I’ve been told that cauliflower can make babies gassy from your breastmilk, though, so I’m going to try it out in the beginning and see if affects the baby. hopefully it doesn’t, because I can make easy meals like burrito bowls (top the cauliflower rice with canned beans, avocado, salsa, and lettuce) and defrost some of my meals and serve it on top of the rice for fuller meals.

veggie burgers & buns

when all else fails, make a veggie burger. it doesn’t get any easier than this! I like to top my veggie burgers with lettuce, tomato, avocado and if I have time, caramelized onions. I enjoy them in a lettuce wrap or my favorite frozen buns by Ezekiel brand. I will serve them with whatever veggies I have on hand or just make a side salad. this is a great meal idea for lunch, when I’m home alone, because it’s minimal prep and is nice and hearty. who doesn’t love a burger?

meatballs & sweet potato noodles

can’t go wrong with turkey meatballs and sweet potato noodles! since zucchini noodles are so easy and can be done in seconds (and can’t be frozen), I’m opting to freeze sweet potato noodles so that I can just toss them in a non-stick skillet and sauté them to go along with some frozen turkey meatballs. I’ll make the meatballs and then when I go to make the meal, I’ll heat them up with a jar of tomato sauce (I love Victoria Fine Foods or Rao’s). quick and easy 10 minute dinner!

shredded chicken

I’ll be making shredded chicken (using boneless chicken breasts) and freezing it unseasoned, so that I can use it in a variety of different dishes. one of my favorite ways to use shredded chicken is to add it to a soup with spiralized veggies (like a chicken noodle soup), or warm it up with a jarred tomatillo sauce and serve it in a burrito-bowl style meal, or toss it in a salad with avocado and chopped veggies. the chicken’s also great to put into a pita with some hummus, cucumbers, avocado, spinach, and tomato, for a quick lunch!

fully prepped freezer meals

here are the meals that I plan on having prepped and in my freezer over the next 2 days, in preparation for the baby:

and that’s what I’m packing my freezer with!

unfortunately, I have a pretty tiny freezer, so I don’t have much room. as we go through the meals, I’ll hopefully have a day or two to meal prep while the baby’s sleeping!

• Danielle

How do you make you lentil and string bean curry?

Tue September 19 at 1:45 am Reply

I don’t have a recipe for that, it’s something I’ve just made in the past – I toss a bunch of veggies in with spices and coconut milk!

Tue September 19 at 12:59 pm Reply
  • Danielle

Also how do you make your salsa for your burrito bowl? Or can you recommend a healthy brand to buy?

Tue September 19 at 1:49 am Reply

I buy a fresh one from Whole Foods, and Whole Foods has a lot of great brands – just read the ingredient list!

Tue September 19 at 12:58 pm Reply
  • Laura

Sometimes I feel like freezer food just doesn’t taste great. How are you storing the food in the freezer and how do you plan on defrosting? Any reheating tips?

Tue September 19 at 2:27 am Reply
  • Andrea

I loved reading your prep plan! Pregnant with my second and need some new ideas.

In the first few days, I remember that the thought of even thawing out one of my pre-prepped mess was overwhelming. Your life changes so drastically and so quickly that it’s a whirlwind. It gets so much easier with time and it is wonderful that your mother will be there to help you.

Long time reader and can’t wait to watch your family grow 🙂
    Andrea

Tue September 19 at 3:05 am Reply

Thanks Andrea – and congrats on your pregnancy! Best of luck to you!

Tue September 19 at 1:00 pm Reply
  • Debora Herman

Hi Ali, going to print out your advice on meal prep. My son and DIL expecting twins in December. Will be staying with them the month of January to help with babies and cook. Thanks for the ideas, will help organize me with ideas.

Tue September 19 at 5:38 pm Reply
  • Linda

Ali, I’m so glad you are continuing to post. I miss you and hope you have a wonderful baby experience. You seem to have your life all planned out, and I pray that it turns out as planned. Just know that you have so many online friends who love and care about you and your life as a new mother. May you and Lu be richly blessed in the days and years to come.

Love & Hugs!!

Tue September 19 at 8:23 pm Reply
  • Jan Ashworth

Thanks, Ali, I was really interested in this as I travel between cities every week and have to have
    a meal prepared for the day I leave each residence every week. Also, if I stay home I have to
    leave hubby prepared with meals for a week. This is my life, sigh. I do a lot of making ahead and or freezing. We have 3 sons, all grown now, but when they were small I made it a habit to
    double one meal a week and freeze it. That practice was a big help so many times and after a
    while it wasn’t a hardship to do. God bless you in the weeks and years to come.

Wed September 20 at 5:38 pm Reply
  • Lyndsey

Thank you for this post and if you think of any additional freezer meals, please keep them coming! I am 25 weeks pregnant with my first child and loving all the prenatal info!

Mon September 25 at 6:26 pm Reply
  • Alexandra

So great your mom will be there… It’s a HUGE help. My mom deep cleaned the house, did laundry, cooked, and prepped stuff in the 3 weeks she was here with us. So nice to not worry and just be able to spend time with baby. Enjoy!

Thu September 28 at 3:52 am Reply
  • Andrea

LOVE! I have been waiting for a post like this, I have a 6 yr old (his name is Lucas btw :)) and go to school FT and work FT and needed healthy freezer ideas to help and these def will 🙂 Quick question, is the shredded chicken recipe on here? CONGRATS on baby Luca and glad to see everyone is happy and healthy!

-Andrea

Mon October 2 at 11:30 pm Reply
  • Andrea Osborn

What’s the best way to freeze the golden beet arroz con pollo? And how long will it last in the freezer?

Mon November 13 at 5:15 pm Reply